Avid have, tonight, released a version of software for the Nexis storage systems that addresses the issue that causes Nexis systems to lock up if you attach a 100Mbps client to them.
Here is the ‘what’s new’ part of the release notes;
“The Avid NEXIS 7.1.1 patch release includes an important fix for Avid NEXIS systems with clients that inadvertently attempt to connect through a 100Mbps Ethernet connection. Anything other than 1Gb or 10Gb is not a supported connection speed, and the client would fail to connect. However, beginning with v5.0, the client’s attempt to connect at an unsupported speed caused the Storage Manager to assert and the Avid NEXIS
system to become temporarily unresponsive.
This fix prevents the system from asserting, and rejects the unsupported client connection. Those clients must modify their connection speeds to connect to Avid NEXIS ”
In case you missed it, this is what was new in 7.1!
- Starting in the v7.x releases, the total scale of the Avid NEXIS Enterprise has been raised to 2.88PB of capacity and 192 GBytes/sec of bandwidth. The limits on the number of Media Packs in an Avid NEXIS system have increased, as follows:
– Up to 24 Media Packs in systems with a System Director Appliance and the Avid NEXIS | FS Extended license and any combination of Avid NEXIS Enterprise Engines
– Up to 48 Media Packs in systems with a System Director Appliance and the Avid NEXIS | FS Advanced license and any combination of Avid NEXIS Enterprise Engines
- This release introduces support for extended password lengths for users. Now, users can have passwords of up to 127 bytes, which is equivalent to 127 ASCII characters. The Administrator account for an Avid NEXIS system can also be up to 127 bytes (ASCII characters).
- This release fixes a problem where drives were marked as under-performing or failed in error. This could lead to media being offline. Avid requires upgrading to Avid NEXIS v7.0 or higher.
- This release fixes a problem specific to the Avid NEXIS | PRO running Avid NEXIS v7.0, where running the Log Aggregator caused the System Director to restart.
- This release fixes a problem isolated to Avid NEXIS v7.0 systems, where a client could not open a Pro Tools project stored on an Avid NEXIS system.
This new version does not, contrary to what is stated in the release notes, support Mac OS X 10.12 .x Sierra clients. That is being worked on.
The Server and Client bundle can be downloaded from your MYAvid account (if you have a support contract for your NEXIS, and the client-only installers for Mac, Linux and Windows can now be downloaded separately from the Avid ESD site.