Benefits of Vidchecker include:
- Thorough checks of file, video and audio parameters as well as video and audio quality, legality and correctness
- Not only checks video and audio, but also intelligently corrects out of spec video levels and audio levels including loudness
- Highly cost-effective: full-featured QC at a price that the smallest post production companies and broadcasters can comfortably afford, and fully scalable using the Vidchecker Grid for enterprise installation with very high file volumes
- Supports sub SD, SD, HD, 4K and mixed workflows
- 4 levels of checking – information, warning, fail on error and correct on error
- Supplied standards templates including DPP and Netflix plus ‘1 Click’ auto test template from known good media
- Built-in media player to play the video at alert points by clicking on the alert thumbnails
- Easy workflow support – use multiple watch folders with filtering, automatically send reports, move files on pass/fail/correction
- Comprehensive online Help
- API web services for full integration with production and broadcast workflows and media asset management systems.
Intelligently correct out of limit Video Levels:
- Video luma level – including black levels
- Video chroma – color limit errors
- Video RGB – gamut/legality problems
Video ‘legalizers’ simply clamp or clip peak values that exceed the limits. This squeezes the range of picture contrast, can produce color artifacts where the colors become saturated and visual artifacts when the video is re-encoded. Vidcheck has developed patented intelligent algorithms that dynamically analyze the image to correct limit violations while maintaining the integrity and quality of the picture.
Intelligently correct out of limit audio peak levels and audio loudness (CALM & EBU R128):
- Audio peak level – levels that are too high.
- Audio Loudness measured to ITU-R BS.1770 and corrected to required program loudness levels – makes sure that audio levels are correct and legal to ATSC A/85 (CALM) and EBU R128 requirments.
- DialNorm correction.
The US Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act requires the Federal Communications Commission to regulate the audio of commercials from being broadcast at louder volumes than the program material they accompany. CALM has become law in Canada and in the USA, so meeting this legislation is vital for all broadcasters and post-production houses in North America.
The ATSC practice A/85 for Audio loudness for DTV recommends use of ITU-R BS.1770-3 for loudness measurement and techniques to control peak levels and loudness. The EBU has issued loudness normalization recommendation R128 and Tech 3341. These are all covered by Vidchecker including auto correction for out-of-spec levels.
ATSC, SMPTE, DPP, NABA, AMWA, CALM, iTunes, Netflix, UK & Japan PSE Flashing, ARD/ZDF, DDV2
MXF (All OP’s including AS formats), MPEG-2 TS, MPEG-2 PS, MP4, MOV (inc. ref. files), ASF, AVI, LXF, GXF, Flash, MKV, IMF
MPEG-2 (XDCAM, IMX, D10), DV/DVCPro 25/50/100, MPEG-4, AVC/H.264 (all profiles), HEVC/H.265, WMV/VC-1, ProRes (all Profiles), DNxHD, DNxHR, MJPEG, JPEG2000, RAW uncompressed YUV / RGB, Huffman, Canopus, Meridien
MPEG1/2, PCM, AAC, AES3, LATM, ADPCM, LPCM, WAV, MP3, BWF, WMA, DV, AC-3, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby-E
Closed Captions / Subtitles
CEA-608, CEA-708, SMPTE 436M, Line 21, DVB subtitles, Teletext
MXF structure, DPP metadata, Compare Wrapper/Essence, Number video/audio streams, PIDs, File, Bitrate, SPS/PPS, Video/Audio duration, Timecode start/Continuity, Clean aperture, AFD, MOV Atom (iTunes), IMF validation of metadata & essence.
Video codec/profile, Encoding syntax, MBAFF, Video bitrate VBR/CBR, Frame size, Frame rate, Video buffer size, Frame aspect ratio, Pixel aspect ratio, GOP length, GOP structure, Field order flagged/baseband, Cadence, Drop frame, Chroma format, Luminance, Black level, Chroma level, RGB gamut, Quality/Blockiness, Analog drops, Digital drops, Video stripes, Corrupt frames, Letterboxing/Pillarboxing, Black frames/sequence, Color bars, Freeze frames, Layout checks, PSE flashing/harmful patterns (Ofcom / ITU), video segment reporting.
Each track : Audio codec, Bit depth, Sample rate, Audio bitrate, Number of channels, Channel layout, Channel mapping, Tones, Phase coherence between channels, Track present during video, Min levels, Peak levels, Clipping, Clicks and pops, PPM, DialNorm, Integrated/Short term/Momentary loudness (ITU/EBU/ATSC/CAL/BS-1770), BLITS, GLITS & EBU test tone checks, digital silence.
Intelligent Automated Correction
Patented Video Correction
Corrects chroma levels if outside limits
Corrects black level if outside limits
Corrects RGB gamut if outside limits
Corrects small video dropouts (e.g. tape hits)
Additional Fixing Option
Insertion / removal / change of length of color bars
Insertion / removal / change of length of black sequences
Correction of start timecode
PSE flashing correction (Ofcom / ITU)
Video bitrate, Frame size, Frame rate, Aspect ratio
Transcode to different codec and format
Peak Levels: peak level correction if TP dB limits exceeded
Loudness: loudness correction if given LKFS/LUFS exceeded
Audio levels: correction if PPM level limits exceeded and peak attenuation
DialNorm: setting and correction
Additional Fixing Option
Audio bitrate, Bit depth, Sample rate
Transcode to different audio codec
DNxHD, DNxHR and MJPEG only in MOV files and exclude re-encode by Vidchecker. Post-processing enables their re-encode using proprietary and open-source encoders.
Vidchecker-post does everything Vidchecker does but processes 1 file at a time instead of 4 and the processing is limited to 8 logical cores.
Vidchecker-post is the version of Vidchecker for low-volume QC requirements. It is designed for post production houses, content distributors and smaller broadcasters who do not have the file-testing throughput requirements of larger companies. It is full-featured QC at a price that the smallest post production companies can comfortably afford. It can be upgraded to the full Vidchecker for the price difference as your file testing throughput requirements grow.
Please note: Vidchecker-post does not have a Grid option (so can only be used stand-alone) or a Dolby-E option. Vidchecker-post is limited to 8 logical cores.